Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Freezer Meals






   FREEZER MEALS PB&J







This summer I started making freezer meals. First, we started with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Chris likes to take 3 pb&j sandwiches to work every day, I made a bunch and put them in the refrigerator, only to find out the next day, the kids ate them. Now, I put them in the freezer and I hear, they are even better frozen.

I always freeze leftover soups and chili. Last week, we made burritos from the left over enchiladas and wrapped them in tinfoil to store in the freezer (ran out of cling wrap) Last night we just popped them into the toaster oven and 25 mins later yummy!!! Making french toast sticks or pancakes in bulk and freezing is an idea I've tried. Also, english muffins with sausage patties is a good one.

Walking down the frozen foods isle you can see chicken nuggets, meatballs, fish sticks, mozzarella sticks, mini tacos, pb&js, mac and cheese.. all frozen, all unhealthy, and full of junk! Our goal this month is to make homemade home cooked meals and stock up so that when the, "I'm hungry", starts I'm not going to be annoyed.

On Pinterest you can find numerous boards dedicated to freezer meals. I have one too! Usually, its chicken this or pork that. I have limited freezer space and tons of ideas. Buying family packs of meat and breaking them down into smaller portions and adding seasonings and a few onions or veggies is a start. Premixing meatloaf is a great time saver, as well.

I've always bought 5 or 6 loaves of bread at at time. Especially, if rolls are on sale I'll bring them home and freeze them. Buying bread from the bakery's day old section is cheaper option. Just remember that when you freeze something, that's how it thaws. So don't wait until its hard and moldy to freeze.

How can we make Moms day better? That's what my brainstorming goal was all weekend. I have a list of things that I need organized, moved around, and tossed out of sight. That will be what my focus is this week. First up, the refrigerator. We have to get these condiment shelves under control.


No comments:

Post a Comment