Sunday, July 29, 2018

prek and elementary Science Poems

Tommy by Gwendolyn Brooks

I put a seed into the ground
And said, "I'll watch it grow."
I watered it and cared for it
As well as I could know.
One day I walked in my back yard,
And oh, what did I see!
My seed had popped itself right out,
Without consulting me

Giraffes by Mary Ann Hoberman

Giraffes
I like them.
Ask me why.
Because they hold their heads up high.
Because their necks stretch to the sky.
Because they’re quiet, calm, and shy.
Because they run so fast they fly.
Because their eyes are velvet brown.
Because their coats are spotted tan.
Because they eat the tops of trees.
Because their legs have knobby knees.
Because
Because
Because
Because. That’s why
I like giraffes.
Sudden Storm
by Elizabeth Coatsworth

The rain comes in sheets
Sweeping the streets, Here, here, and here, Umbrellas appear, Red, blue, yellow, green, They tilt and they lean Like mushrooms, like flowers, That grow when it showers.
Sunflakes By Frank Asch

If sunlight fell like snowflakes,
gleaming yellow and so bright,
we could build a sunman,
we could have a sunball fight,
we could watch the sunflakes
drifting in the sky.
We could go sleighing
in the middle of July
through sundrifts and sunbanks,
we could ride a sunmobile,
and we could touch sunflakes—
I wonder how they'd feel.
Our World by Meish Goldish

The grass is green,
The sky is blue,
The moon is white,
The clouds are, too.
The sun is yellow,
The trees are brown,
The leaves are red
When falling down.
The sunset’s orange,
The air is clear,
What a colorful world
We have right here!
"The Popcorn Hop" by Stephanie Calmenson.

The Popcorn Hop
Put your popcorn in a pot.
Wait till it gets really hot.
When you start to feel the heat,
Listen for the popcorn beat:
Pop-pop-POP-pop,
pop-pop-POP!
Come and do the popcorn hop!





No comments:

Post a Comment