Saturday, December 5, 2020

"IF" By B. F. AUSTIN

 "IF"

By B. F. AUSTIN

IF 


I can throw a single ray of light

Across the darkened pathway of another;

If I can aid some soul to clearer sight

Of life and duty, and thus bless my brother;

If I can wipe from any human cheek a tear,

I shall not then have lived in vain while here.

If I can guide some erring one to truth,

Inspire within his heart a sense of duty;

If I can plant within the soul of rosy youth

A sense of right, a love of truth and beauty;

If I can teach one man that God and Heaven are near,

I shall not then have lived in vain while here.

If from my mind I banish doubt and fear,

And keep my life attuned to love and kindness;

If I can scatter light and hope and cheer,

And help remove the curse of mental blindness;

If I can make more joy, more hope, less pain,

I shall not then have lived and loved in vain.

If by life's roadside I can plant a tree,

Beneath whose shade some wearied head may rest;

Though I may never share its shade, or see

Its beauty, I shall yet be truly blestThough no one knows my name, nor drops a flow'r upon my bier,

I shall not then have lived in vain while here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment