Saturday, March 30, 2019

BRAIN TEASERS: Words hidden in the sentences

A numbers game: seen and heard.

I. Each of the sentences below contains a hidden number. It may be wholly within a word or may
go across two or more words. In each case the spelling is exactly the same as the written form of the
number, although the pronunciation may be different.

Example:

If I’ve said something to hurt you, I’m sorry, (five).


A. Listen carefully to the dialogue on the tape recording.
B. It would be better to learn the language thoroughly.
C. When the plane took off, I very much wanted to cry.
D. We thought that was the best year of our lives.
E. Now their team is even with ours.
F. “Honesty is the best policy” is a well-known maxim.
G. The papers I xeroxed didn’t turn out very well.
H. The words were spoken in each of the languages native to those present.
I. Paul is going to leave today; Robert went yesterday.
J. You replaced the thous and thees of English several centuries ago.
K. I hope that our efforts to rectify the error will comfort you a little.
L. Her remarks about the silent way made Caleb ill; I on the other hand, thought the points were
well taken.
M. Wish I could have been present at this event you are telling us about.


II. The numbers hidden in the following sentences may be heard but not seen. That is, the sound or
pronunciation of the number is present, but not the spelling.

Example: We found Janet well versed on the subject, (twelve).


A. John is now working as a tutor of English.
B. He answered before I could even finish the question.
C. Mary ate the whole pizza all by herself!
D. We all breathed a sigh of relief when our team finally won the game.
E. Even I know better than that!
F. Turn the radio off if teenagers come into the house.
G. We both respect your judgment very much.
H. Robert ended his speech on a strong note.
I. The zookeeper moved the sick seals to a different cage.
J. The baker added leaven and some water to the bread dough.

III. Hidden colors. Find the name of a color hidden in each sentence: (The first one has been done as a sample.).

1. Some parts of the face are the eye, eyebrow, nose, and mouth. (brown)
2. I’m not really dumb; lack of sleep made me forget the answers.
3. If I tell you what she said, will you agree never to tell anyone?
4. In the box we found a pencil, a pin, keys, and a few coins.
5. Are three zeros enough to write the number one thousand?
6. The wheelbarrow hit eleven rocks as it rolled down the hill.
7. When the nurse gives you the injection, just yell “Ow” if it hurts.
8. Eisa and Otto ran gently down the path to the river.
9. Before arriving at Kuala Lumpur, please fill out these forms.
10. I play nearly all the stringed instruments: violin, cello, bass viol, etc.
11. When I opened the window, shining rays of sunlight flooded the room.
12. We’ll go in Jim’s car. Let’s leave at six o’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment