Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Strategies for handling a meltdown

Is this a blog entry which provides you the magical solution to meltdowns so that it will never happen again? No. If you know of such a magical solution or potion, do let me know. I would love to k…

Some of the common warning signs of a coming meltdown

  • pacing back and forth
  • increased self-stimulation behaviors
  • freeze or stiff body movements
  • focusing on that topic that affects him or her
  • stuttering or heavy-breather speech
  • some do become mute



How to subdue a meltdown?
  1. take a deep breath first (or a few) and remain calm.
  2. lower my body and speak at an eye level with my child.
  3. speak in short sentences. “I know you are upset.” “Okay.” 
  4. slow down my speech.
  5. put my palm on my child’s heart/chest as I am speaking to them.
  6. let my child talk.
  7. listen.
  8. always assure my child that I know he or she is upset.
  9. use distractions that may distract them from what is upsetting     them.
  10.  use humor to get the child to smile or laugh.
  11. making funny noises or mimicking the characters, SpongeBob or Donald Duck
  12. continue to walk while holding his hand.
  13. mention that we're going to go to a favorite place
Rule of thumb
  • never ask them what is wrong.
  • never ask them not to cry.
  • never shout at them.
  • never pull them away aggressively

No comments:

Post a Comment