Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly) (1948) - Dinah Shore

Breath control

The candle exercise is a great favorite of mine.  

Hold up one finger, pretending it is a candle with a flame that you want to blow carefully enough to make it waver, but not go out.  That helps ensure a controlled diaphragm where the air is slowly released, not suddenly in a rush. 

Watch the second hand on the studio clock... start together, and tell them to drop the "candle" when they run out of air.  How many seconds?  Write it down on the empty line.  Next week, compare.  Do this for several weeks.

The "candle" exercise is done 3 times:

  • first, with silent blowing.  
  • Second, with an "oooo" all on one tone, in an easy part of the voice.  
  • Lastly, pick a song that the child knows - perhaps "Happy Birthday", and begin singing it all on one breath with no new breaths or breaks (harder than it sounds - I do a bit of a drawing-out gesture with my free hand to encourage the voice to continue through the pauses in the song).  All this time, I am blowing, "ooo-ing", and singing along with them.  It is a bit of a competition, as well as modeling.  Their posture needs to stay upright and beautiful all along.


  • REPERTOIRE SONG

Lyrics

Lavender blue, dilly-dilly

Lavender green

If you were king, dilly-dilly

You'd need a queen

Who told me so?

Dilly-dilly

Who told me so?

I told myself, dilly-dilly

I told me so

If your dilly-dilly heart

Feels a dilly-dilly way

And if you'll answer yes

In a pretty little church

On a dilly-dilly day

I'll be wed in a dilly-dilly dress of

Lavender blue, dilly-dilly

Lavender green

Then you'll be king, dilly-dilly

And I'll be queen

If your dilly-dilly heart

Feels a dilly-dilly way

And if you'll answer yes

In a pretty little church

On a dilly-dilly day

I'll be wed in a dilly-dilly dress of

Lavender blue, dilly-dilly

Lavender green

Then you'll be king, dilly-dilly

And I'll be your queen

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Morey Larry / Daniel Eliot

Lavender Blue lyrics © Sony/atv Acuff Rose Music, Walt Disney Music Co. Ltd., Walt Disney Music Company

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b7N6ZcxLRSs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No comments:

Post a Comment