Sunday, January 1, 2017

January (learning something new)

January Observances & Fun Facts

January 2017 is Observed as

Birthstone

birthstone
Garnet

Fruit & Veges for the Month of January



fruit

January Flower

flower
Carnation

Astrological Signs

Capricorn (till 19th) & Aquarius (20th→)


This month for health and social studies we're going to learn about these observances. I think know what a mentor is will be very beneficial to all four. Isabelle just had an eye exam where the puff of air shot into her eye for the glaucoma test first brought up that topic and now we have an excuse to look further into just what glaucoma is. The importance of donating blood and birth defects prevention will also be a topic we'll have discussions on. 

The fruits and vegetables for the month of January list a couple of things, I know the kids will have no idea what they are. Jicama, Taro root, Sunchoke, and Sun Dried Tomatoes are things we've never eaten. Tasting those and learning about where they originated in the world will be exciting. 

Carnations are a staple in most grocery store flower bins by the check out. I think, I'll purchase a bouquet next time one of the kids comments on how pretty they are. We can try to save seeds from the flower or press the flowers and put them in a picture frame. 

I'm not sure exactly how to approach the astrological sign. I don't think my kids know what horoscopes are. I'm not sure I want them reading you should be xyz because you're an Aries and then they mold their life towards that. I just want them to be themselves and not have to worry about being bogged down with expectations because of their birthdate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment