Thursday, October 12, 2017

DIY Peppermint Extract

 Peppermint Extract

You'll need the following:

Peppermint leaves (not spearmint)
high proof alcohol, like everclear



Peppermint is a soothing taste, in my opinion. I used to love putting a candy cane in my hot chocolate. Nowadays that's too much sugar for me.

I've purchased many 'peppermint' plants only to have them grow and smell of spearmint. There is a difference. If you buy a plant at your local nursery to make your extract, double check that it is peppermint and not spearmint.

Spearmint is more of minty fresh gum taste and I don't want that in my coffee or hot chocolate.

Once you find your peppermint plant it's go time. Pull off some leaves and wash them. Let them air dry on a towel so you don't mix the water with the alcohol. Once the leaves are dry, chop them up and place them in a mason jar. Add in a high proof alcohol like Everclear. This infusion should take up to a week. Just place the jar in a cool dark cabinet and shake everyday to mix it all up.
After a week, drain the leaves and there's your extract. If you desire a stronger taste using the same jar and liquid add new leaves and start your double infusion. You can go on a triple, if you do the process three times.

I like to add my extract to a large carton of unsweetened almond milk. A little goes a long way.

Essentially, an extract is infused alcohol, that's why people who have cars with breathalyzers don't use vanilla extract in their morning pancakes and waffles. It would trigger the machine and your car/truck/van won't start.

Making a huge mason jar of peppermint extract should last my family the whole season.


Like I said above, a little goes a long way. If you want to make a mocha peppermint flavored creamer just add some peppermint extract, chocolate extract, unsweetened cocoa powder, and espresso powder with some unsweetened almond milk in a blender. You blend it on high for three minutes and store it in the refrigerator for two to three weeks. It's that easy.
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment