Thursday, May 11, 2017

My backyard chicken broke her leg!

Princess


Last night, as I closed up the coop, I noticed Princess hiding under the coop. I thought, I'll just grab her, but she took off further under. I chased a few more girls around and noticed Princess near the ramp to go in. She was trying to jump up on the ramp instead of walking to the end and up. Her wing was down and straight out. I was worried she hurt her wing. 

I lifted her up and nothing seemed wrong with her wing. I sat her down at the end of the ramp and saw her hop on one foot back under the coop. I scooped her up and ran towards the house. I sat her down in the driveway and got my oldest daughter. We checked her over no blood, no scratches, and no missing feathers. We could tell she was in pain. I placed her in the coop and she went straight to the nesting box and laid down with her leg out straight. 

I crushed up an 80mg pill of children's pain medicine and put some on top of a spoonful of cottage cheese. This morning it looked like she ate some. She was still sitting in the box with her leg out straight. 

Looking around online, I found a lot of useful information at the backyard chicken site. Keep her hydrated, fed, and off her leg! I used two spoon shaped popsicle sticks to keep her leg still. Her foot/toes were scrunched up, so I used the spoon end like a shoe to keep it spread open, then wrapped it with an ace bandage. The upper part of the leg was difficult to wrap. Lots of feathers. I put the other spoon stick there and wrapped it up. 

We filled the dog crate with hay and put a box in there for her to lay in. She's still wrapped in the same sheet as the photo with her leg propped up a bit. She wasn't too fussy during everything, but when we touched her upper leg we could tell she didn't like it. Nothing seemed broken, cracked, and didn't feel any gapped space. Just the curling and stiffening of the foot when you touched her thigh. 

She's in a dog crate in the screenhouse resting up. The other hens have always been a bully to her, I'll have to keep an eye on them when she is well enough to go back in. It seems they forget and you have to reintroduce them to the girls slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment