Saturday, September 23, 2017

Question Mark

Use the question mark at the end of all direct questions.

EXAMPLES

What is your name?
Do you speak Italian?
You're spanish, aren't you?

Do not use a question mark for reported questions

EXAMPLES

He asked me what my name was.
She asked if I was Spanish.
Ask them where they are going.

Long questions still need question marks

EXAMPLES

Isn't it true that global warming is responsible for more and more problems which are having a disastrous effect on the world's climate and leading to many millions of people in countries that can least afford it having to contend with more and more hardship?
Why is it that even though you are unkind to me, ignore me when I ask you for help, and consistently forget to thank me when I do favors for you, you still claim to want me to be your friend and appear surprised when I prefer to hang out with other people?

Question marks can sometimes appear within sentences

EXAMPLES

There is cause for concern (isn't there?) that the current world economic balance is so fragile that it may lead to a global economic downturn.
"Why is she here?" asked Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment