Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Vlogging and driving accidents

Mannequin challenge, pop tart challenge, cinnamon challenge, chubby bunny, no thumbs challenge, Andy's coming, bottle flipping, and many more challenges are out there. My kids learn about them through friends and YouTube.


YouTube is full of silly people taking silly challenges. My kids are flipping bottles like their life depends on it. My kids have a few "challenge" videos uploaded. I think a few are funny. They aren't filming unsupervised, like some of these whacky adults, and they want to prove it to themselves that they can do something. I get it.

They also want to be youtube famous. They have a cushy lifestyle right now, not being YouTube famous. They're homeschooled, see friends and family regularly, and want for nothing. Except when it comes to busting out these challenges. I can yell and gripe for hours about school work being completed, neatly and organized, but if I mention, what's the "mailed myself in a box to ...." on YouTube? I'll be looking at a kid playing in a huge box ready to mail herself to Santa.

I want to make my own set of challenges with them. Clean your room! Sounds like a great starting challenge for all of us!!! How about the, I made my bed all week and here's the proof challenge? I would love a, who made the better breakfast this week, and each kid makes a breakfast item all week and we decide -secret ballot style --plot twist!!

But in all seriousness, I've seen a lot of people post vlogging accidents or I've watched people drive for hours and post the whole thing. Holding the camera out the window while in traffic and have cars or motorcycles whizzing by almost removing a limb.
Image result for accident while vlogging


My oldest daughter is 12, 3 more years and she'll be driving! I don't want her to think she should answer the phone or facetime someone while driving. She is my copilot, she holds the phone, makes the calls, finds the phone in my purse when it's ringing. When she is off on her own working and driving, I'll have another kid to do those things for me. She'll be out there in the big scary world all by herself!

I was thinking of picking up a vent clip phone holder the other night. I had a second thought, what if I just start to Google something .. or attempt to read a text and crash. I didn't even pull it off the shelf and moved on.

We go to a few activities at night and I've noticed other drivers swiping on their phones that are on the dashboard. It's not directions or a map they're looking at, its apps. I think the cars with the TV monitors on the dash are scary too. My mom had one in her last car, had no clue about any of it. Just thinking about this makes me go in panic attack mode! I know my daughter will be great at driving, but it's the other people out in the world that will be driving next to her, that I can't control, that scares me!

http://www.distraction.gov/take-action/take-the-pledge.html

Is a pledge you can take

The fight to end distracted driving starts with you. Make the commitment to drive phone-free today.

Distracted driving kills and injures thousands of people each year. I pledge to:

Protect lives by never texting or talking on the phone while driving.
Be a good passenger and speak out if the driver in my car is distracted.
Encourage my friends and family to drive phone-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment