Friday, September 16, 2016

Will we ever go to the Mall again?

America’s second-largest mall operator has a message for department stores leaving its malls: See ya, wouldn’t want to be ya. Seems just like Macy's joined our local Malls. Yes, I'm using Mom Years for my counting. Macy’s plans to close 100 stores and the obvious next move would be to say good-bye to other big chains such as Sears and J.C. Penney. Like malls aren't deserted enough already.
General Growth Properties said at a real-estate conference on Tuesday it would be just fine with Macy’s leaving some of their malls. In fact, it’s in discussions with Macy’s and other anchor tenants about which malls it wants the chains to leave. Sounds like a strange thing for a mall operator with Macy’s in about 70 percent of its malls to do, no? Read more at Bloomberg.

I personally, would love if one of our local malls had a grocery store. I don't take my kids to the mall. A few months back, the kids and I went to Arundel Mills because it was raining and we had planned to go to the park that day. Dave and Busters was the busiest place. Adult Chuck E. Cheese should be in every mall by now, since the arcades are long gone.

As a teenager, my friends and I used to skip school to go to the mall. I remember when Malls had Free Internet access!! Hello, let me just check my email and that punk rock messageboard real quick before we head home. (Anyone else remember doing that?) We loved the mall! If a mall near me had a grocery store, I'd shop at it. I'd let my older kids walk around the mall drooling over the newest electronics, music, and the coolest new fashion whatever.

Last weekend we went to the Avenue, an outside mall area near White Marsh Mall. A lot of the stores were empty. I was disappointed, but if I'm not going to the mall, apparently, neither are others. I love the Trader Joe's in Towson. Its near the Towson Town Mall, but just not near enough for me to "pop in real quick". The Barnes and Noble is though. LOVE THAT STORE! We go often.


No comments:

Post a Comment