Friday, July 29, 2016

We said, "GOOD-BYE!" to Cable TV

We have been a one income household since 2012. In April of 2012, we cut the Direct TV cord and haven't looked back. We had no internet, as well. In March 2014, we decided to start homeschooling. We shopped around and found Comcast had a great price for internet only services and we signed up.

Back in April of 2012, we were given a free converter box and dusted off an antenna in my moms basement and we were golden. Forty-two channels, out of all of those, two were all day kids shows, Qubo and WETA kids.

Three years after receiving a Blu Ray player, our old DVD player crapped out on us. I hooked up the Blu Ray and as I was tossing the box in the recycling bin, I noticed it has WiFi access... well blow me over! We were able to watch Nextflix and YouTube on our TV. the following April YouTube streaming was no longer available and we had to huddle around the computer monitor to watch Science videos.

For Mother's day last year, 2015, I bought myself Chromecast. What an awesome invention! The kids can stream internet movies and YouTube movies on the TV. Its nice to have the YouTube resources streamed to the Family TV and we can all watch together and learn together.

I will admit, I was sad to see The Soup and WWHL go. Those were my shows. but ya know what, I got over it. The kids were watching Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents over and over. I liked that with Netflix and the internet we could broaden our horizons!

If you want to cut the cable cord and save yourself roughly 80 bucks a month this is the equipment we use. Of course, I'm linking these products to my Amazon account. ;)





$8.67, so for less than a Value Meal (and a TV manufactured in 2010 or newer) you can be cable free!


I bought this one for my room!



Its base is magnetic, so I can position it on my curtain rod.

Amazon does not have a link for Chromecast (imagine that!)

Image result for chromecast

Google has sold 30 million of its Chromecast media streaming devices
That’s up from 25 million in May.

BY 
On its earnings call, Google rarely shares new figures. But it did give us one today: The company has shipped more than 30 million units of its Chromecast streaming dongle, CEO Sundar Pichai said on the second-quarter earnings call.

The last figure it shared was from May, when Google said it had shipped 25 million.

Pichai mentioned the updated figure in response to a question about Google’s hardware strategy. In April, Google puts its disparate hardware efforts under one roof, but it hasn’t spoken about that unit’s strategy since.

“We realized a lot of computing intersections happen at the intersection of hardware and software,” Pichai said, before touting Chromecast’s sales.

The device, which competes with the Apple TV and Amazon Fire products, has been the company’s best-selling hardware product — although Amazon stopped selling it last fall. In May of 2015, Google said it had shipped 17 million units in Chromecast’s first two years.








No comments:

Post a Comment